If your physician has prescribed oral iron, please consider these reminders:
- Take iron supplement on an empty stomach with citrus juices which may increase iron absorption.
- Iron can be taken with food but food will decrease absorption of iron by 50%.
- Take 250 mg of Vitamin C every day which may increase iron absorption.
- Do not drink coffee and tea within one hour of taking iron.
- Taking iron with meals along with fiber and roughage and 6-8oz water will help reduce constipation and cramping.
- Iron can cause dark stools.
- Notify your physician if you experience bright red blood, vomiting diarrhea, tarry stools, weak and rapid pulse or lethargy.
- Keep all iron medications out of reach of children at all times.